- emesene is, as the name already suggests, primarily an MSN client. emesene comes with this protocol by default. It does, however, also support Google Talk and Facebook sessions, which will be available from the login screen if you have python-xmpp installed.
Does emesene have webcam support for the MSN protocol?
- No. This is because Microsoft uses some codec that doesn't have an open source variant. Therefore, it is impossible for us to add webcam support.
Emesene doesn't use the Messaging Menu in Ubuntu 12.04
- This is a packaging bug in Ubuntu 12.04. If you want to use the Messaging Menu, you should install
python-indicateand enable the Messaging Menu through
Multiple windows open when someone talks to me
- This is most likely because you opened emesene multiple times. If you click the close button on the emesene main window, emesene will not close, but hide instead. If you're using Ubuntu, emesene is hiding in the Messaging Menu (grey/blue envelope in the upper right of the screen), on other distributions it should hide to a tray icon. In emesene 2.12.2+, clicking the emesene desktop icon will show the previously opened instance.
All my logs disappeared
- You most likely have multiple instances of emesene open (see above). Emesene can only open the logging database once.
I can't connect to the msn network
- Microsoft changed their protocol in the first half of November 2011, which is why version 2.11.9 and lower do not work any more. Please try using version 2.11.11 or above.
emesene segfaults, what should I do?
- You're most likely using Gentoo, and you'll have to recompile glibc. There's nothing we can do about this.